Are you in a difficult situation where you are thinking about whether can you use a rice cooker as a slow cooker?
Luckily, you can easily use a rice cooker as a substitute for slow cookers. Some homemakers got their doubts in case it fails, but no, it will not.
Therefore, you can use a rice cooker as a slow cooker to cook many dishes. All you just need to do is adjust the rice cooker settings between “Warm” and “High Heat” a few times.
Moreover, this process will assure your success in cooking. And give you a dish that will turn out even better than the average outcome. So, let’s know more about how can a rice cooker be used as a slow cooker to enjoy delicious meals.
Can You Use a Rice Cooker as a Slow Cooker?
If you do not own a slow cooker, you got one great way to prepare slow cooker dishes. Of course, you can simply use a rice cooker for cooking food instead of a slow cooker. In case you are worried about kitchen disasters, nope, there is no possible way.
Further, not just one, a lot of slow cooker dishes will turn out very well in the rice cooker. Thereby, you do not even need to do any extensive tasks for fear of failing.
Simply do the following:
- Do a thorough process to work your way around the Warm and High Heat settings of the rice cooker. So, you know how to use a rice cooker to cook slow cooker foods.
- Know the key difference between a rice cooker and a slow cooker to understand what you should do.
- Take the suggestions into your account about the foods that you can cook in rice cookers instead of slow cookers.
- Get a heads up of the beginner’s common mistakes to avoid them.
These are pretty much enough for you to use a rice cooker for cooking meals as a substitute for a slow cooker at ease.
Lastly, let us proceed on how to use a rice cooker as a slow cooker with easy steps.
How to Use a Rice Cooker as a Slow Cooker?
Owning a rice cooker in your kitchen is enough for you to improvise and make dishes like other cookware.
If you are still pondering how can you use a rice cooker as a crockpot, I will show you.
You just need to practice using both the Warm and High Heat settings of the rice repeatedly. Then you are good for getting a delicious meal out of your rice cooker.
So, here is the method of how you use a rice cooker as a slow cooker:
1. Prepare the Ingredients and Clean the Cookware to Start
Regarding the type of meal you want to cook. Go, grab all the ingredients. Then start cutting, washing, and seasoning them.
You can cook almost anything in the rice cooker. So, do not fret about what you should use or avoid.
And while the ingredients are marinating, wash the pot and lid of the rice cooker. Thus, you can start cooking.
2. Place the Food Ingredients into the Rice Cooker
Now, put all the seasoned ingredients inside the pot in the rice cooker. Thereby, always remember to add enough water or liquid for moisture that will prevent the food from burning.
Well, the liquid must be sufficient, not too much, it too less. We know that too much liquid will weaken the flavors. Lastly, close the rice cooker’s lid.
3. Select the Usual Rice Cooker Settings
Start by turning on the rice cooker. Then set the usual setting you use for cooking rice.
Now, let the ingredients cook for about half-hour or until the food starts boiling.
4. After Start Boiling, Switch the Settings to “Low” or “Warm”
Warm” or Low” cooking settings will ensure the boiling heat retails until you open the lid.
Thereby, this process will ensure the food keeps on simmering down below boiling point. Let the food be in this setting for a while.
5. Leave the Cooker on the New Settings for 40-60 Minutes
It is better if you leave food on Warm” for 40 minutes to an hour.
However, there’s another thing you must do every 15 minutes. As well you trust the process.
6. Repeatedly Check on the Food Whether It Is Drying or Boiling
After every 15 minutes in the “Warm” setting, change the cooker function to the highest (High Heat) one for 3-5 minutes. And again, change the function back to “Warm” or “Low.”
Therefore, repeat this process for an hour. Well, this process will maintain the interior high heat for simmering the food profoundly.
7. After 40-60 Minutes, Measure the Temperature of the Food
Now that the food seems all simmered down and almost ready, check its temperature. By this, you will ensure that the food is cooked finely. Each dish cooks thoroughly at a different temperature.
So, after measuring, if it is not standard, continue cooking using steps 3 and 4. Or else your cooking is complete successfully.
Yay, see? You didn’t need to get a slow cooker only to enjoy a few meals. Just like the slow cooker, making recipes in a rice cooker is easier too.
And you know the process of how you can use a rice cooker as a slow cooker or crockpot for a tasty dish. Now, it is time you implement it.
Moreover, you do not even need to bother yourself with extra kitchen work. Oh yeah! You may need to know to operate the cooking modes to initiate the cooking process perfectly.
Thus, it is a great time to know the key difference between a rice cooker and a slow cooker. Therefore, you will understand their resemblance as well.
Mistakes to Avoid While Using a Rice Cooker as Slow Cooker
- Not adding enough water or moisture will dry and burn the foods at the bottom surface.
- Food may get overcooked as you miscalculate the cooking time; use unrelated cooking modes.
- Leaving food unattended in a rice cooker is a no-go! You must monitor and may change the cooking modes depending on the cooking progress.
- Undercooking meals is an issue too. Meat and fishes take extra time to cook and you cannot overlook that fact. Unless you will get half-cooked meat and fish at the end.
Read More: Can You Cook Beans In A Rice Cooker? A Beginner’s Guide
What Can I Cook in a Rice Cooker like a Slow Cooker?
We already know that a rice cooker is not only for cooking rice. Thereby, you can easily cook a lot of meals. You can also cook many slow cookers or crockpot dishes using a rice cooker.
So here we go to know what foods can you put in a rice cooker. Simply make these easy slow cooker recipes in your rice cooker next time:
- Stews – Stews are one of the most popular slow cooker dishes. You just prepare the ingredients and spices. Then you throw them and enough water inside the inner pot and close the slow cooker lid. And finally, we slow cook the delicious stews. Thereby, you can use a rice cooker to make stews. Just follow my instructions above and you are great to go!
- Curry – Another slow cooker’s easy meal for a busy day. Luckily, we can also cook curry using a rice cooker too. Just boil the ingredients for 30 minutes. And then leave it simmering for an hour on Warm” or Low.”
- Beans – Cooking beans in a cooker is almost similar to a slow cooker. That’s right; you will not put in any extra effort. But you need to monitor the dish and change the cooking modes frequently for an hour.
- Steamed Vegetables – Yes, that’s right, a rice cooker steamer is a great alternative to cooking steamed veggies than in a slow cooker.
- Hard-boiled Eggs – You do not need a stove to make boiled eggs. Moreover, you can make soft-boiled and medium-boiled eggs just by maintaining cooking time.
- Pancakes– That’s right, you do not need a traditional route of stove and pan to cook pancakes. Instead, toss the batter inside the rice cooker and flip it repeatedly, and voila!
Regarding the type of meal you want to cook, grab all the ingredients. Then start cutting, washing, and seasoning them. You know the process of how can rice cookers be used as slow cookers or crockpots for a tasty dish.
Thus, can a rice cooker be used as a slow cooker? Many slow cooker dishes are possible to cook using a rice cooker.
Other Foods You Can Cook in a Rice Cooker are:
- All sorts of rice, wheat, and grains.
- Soup, quinoa, and lentils.
- Mashed Potatoes
- Scrambled eggs
- Chicken and rice.
- Khichuri with beef or goat.
- Steamed Fish
- Porridge, Frittata, and Oatmeal.
- Cake, pudding, poaches, and other desserts.
Can Aroma Rice Cooker Be Used as a Slow Cooker?
Of course, we can use the Aroma rice cooker as a substitute for a slow cooker. Aroma rice cooker is one the smart cookware that avails you to use the correct heat.
Moreover, it retains the desired taste of your meal while maintaining nutritional values perfectly. But, like any other rice cooker, you cannot leave it unattended while cooking your slow cooker meals.
Let’s get to know about the amazing houseware, aka Aroma Rice Cooker. If you are considering using a rice cooker as a slow cooker, an Aroma rice cooker is one of the best options.
About Aroma Rice Cooker: Aroma ARC-914SBD
- Brand: Aroma Housewares
- Color: Silver
- Material: Stainless
- Capacity: 2 Quarts
- Weight: 3.6 Pounds
- Watt/Volt: 450W/120V
- Is Dishwasher Safe: Yes
Aroma ARC-914SBD 8 Cup Rice Cooker is now a hot topic in all household kitchens. Therefore, it is not just a regular or traditional rice cooker. The aroma rice cooker will provide you with a little extra than any other rice cooker.
Thereby, this Aroma 8-cup rice cooker and food steamer came up with advanced features and benefits for everyone. We all know that a cooker and steamer are very necessary for cooking and heating foods throughout every day.
Regarding that, this helps you cook a fresh and tasty meal in a short moment. As well as heat any stored food and even cook steamed dishes quickly.
I know there are tons of rice cookers and steamers out there. However, the Aroma rice cooker comes with a food steamer feature that makes your kitchen experience much simpler and easier.
Thus, let’s talk about the features and benefits of the Aroma rice cooker and steamer.
Features & Benefits of Aroma Rice Cooker
Aroma rice cooker is specifically developed to help you cook almost all kinds of meals more easily. Moreover, you even get to cook slow cooker food in this rice cooker efficiently and quickly.
Therefore, here are the exclusive features of the Aroma rice cooker.
Easy Control and Multifunction
Very simple to use with a digital and programmable control panel. Thereby, the programmable controls are rice, brown rice, delay timer, steam, warm, and low.
Thereby, the timer for delay can work for up to 15 hours, making your schedule more flexible. Also, it consists of a beeping alert system to ensure you know the cooking is over.
Further, it comes with an automatic thermostat function that stops your food from overcooking and keeps the food warm. And it is very convenient for when you are away or don’t catch the beeping sound.
As for other multifunction features, the unique logic technology sensor automatically controls the temperature rate. And, even if you set high heat mode, it will prevent food from burning.
Lastly, the quick rice cooker mode saves half of your cooking time and gives efficiently delicious results.
Well, the Aroma rice cooker only weighs 4 pounds and its dimensions are 8.5×9.3×8.7 inches. I mean, it’s quite light weighted and big enough.
Moreover, the inner pot can contain 4 cups of uncooked and 8.5 cups of cooked foods. This capacity is excellent for a family meal. Further, the inner pot is nonstick. Also, you can cook beef, meat, and other oily foods without an issue.
Most rice cooker offers rice measuring cups. But Aroma provides a few more accessories for a smoother experience. You will get a Rice measuring cup, a food serving spatula, and an inner tray for steaming food.
Moreover, you can cook rice in the inner pot while cooking steamed fish on the inner tray on top at the same time. Besides, all the included accessories and other parts are removable. Therefore, you can easily dismantle the parts and clean them thoroughly.
Lastly, the Aroma manufacturer also provides an exclusive recipe booklet and coupons. And the booklet includes the recipes of Mahatma and Carolina rice!
Not to mention the cooking booklet also comes with timing measurements for each type of dish.
Benefits of Aroma Rice Cooker
Here are the benefits of the Aroma 8 cups rice cooker, which can be used as a slow cooker or crockpot:
- Cooking rice and steamed vegetables all together in a single rice cooker time using an inner pot and BPA-free steam tray.
- Includes Pressure cooker and High Heat mode for cooking meals half-time faster.
- Provides other cooking modes to cook slow cooker and instant cooker foods.
- Can be used as an instant cooker.
- Removable parts for simple dishwasher cleaning and other processes.
- It cooks all sorts of slow cooking foods. For instance, Jambalaya, Stews, Soups, Chili, Porridge, Casseroles, and many more. Also, it makes desserts like pudding, pancakes, chocolate cake, banana bread, tapioca, frittata, and so on.
- Fast cooking experience with programmable settings.
- Easy use with removable parts.
- BPA-free steamer for cooking and steaming at the same time.
- Multifunction features for more efficiency.
- Cooking time beeper, automatic thermostat function.
- The automatic logic sensor may fail to work sometimes.
Frequently People Asked Questions [FAQ]
Yes, you can certainly cook raw meats like beef, pork, and chicken in a rice cooker. First, you boil the meat using the high heat or pressure cooker function. After that, set it on warm to simmer it evenly.
Apart from cooking all sorts of rice, you can cook breakfast meals, meat, vegetables, desserts, soups, and other exotic meals smoothly. Just remember to change cooking modes from high to low after boiling.
Slow cooking rice in a slow cooker takes at least 2 hours to 2 hours 30 minutes in high heat mode. After 2 hours, you will get soft, fluffy, and steamed rice perfectly cooked without any extra work.
Most modern or new rice cookers come with a steam tray or basket. The BPA-free steam basket or tray enables you to use your rice cooker as is steamer to cook delicious steamed rice, veggies, and fish.
After you go through everything I said, you won’t get any confusion about whether you can use a rice cooker as a slow cooker or not.
Therefore, I also gave you guidelines on how can rice cookers be used as slow cookers to make delicious meals.
Regarding that, you just need to maintain the proper ratio of water and ingredients. You should also monitor the cooking time and modes to avail the perfect meal ready for you.